Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pride Prejudice and Zombies

Halloween has just past and in celebration of it I read Pride Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith and of course Jane Austen. I bought it a year ago after practically pining for it in the book store. But it took me a while to actually read it.

Any who here is a brief overview...
The story is set like Pride and Prejudice, but Merry Old England has now been taken over by zombies, with the characters right in the middle of the zombie infected land. The story like the original follows Elizabeth Bennet a smart, beautiful and now deadly girl. She and her sisters are skillful "warriors" that protect their property by killing "unmentionables".  When not dealing with zombies she has to deal with her embarrassing mother, defending her family's honor, and finding love.

So yes like many I was ecstatic about the fact that Jane Austin's brilliant work of literature was going to include zombies. And though I wanted to love this book I just didn't.
Let me first wirte what I did like about the book. That is simple enough...the ZOMBIES! I mean come on you don't see that everyday. The parts where Elizabeth and her sisters are actually fighting the zombies is very entertaining. Also I liked that Smith changed and added parts of the book that do set it aside from Austen's work.  Plus it was pretty funny in parts.

Now for the bad. All in all I felt the book was pretty poorly written.  I get Smith was trying to write the story like it was written in 1800s, but he just failed at it. At times I was scratching my head thinking "what is the heckles is he tying to say?".  Also at parts it felt like my 13 year old brother could have written the book, because characters were puking for no real apparent reason, and Elizabeth was ripping out ninja's hearts and eating them. So, yah it was just plain creepy and weird (and not the good kind) in parts.

All in all though I would give this book a 6/10. It was not completely bad, but it is not a book I would likely not read again. (Though I would go see the movie ):-D

No comments:

Post a Comment